Pregnant Woman or On-Call Physician?
10 Signs You Live with One or the Other
By Jasmine Almeida
- You go out for dinner and they order sparkling water instead of wine – leaving their poor dates to “drink for two.
- They’re always tired and live in a constant state of fatigue; basically collapsing at the end of the day – then they’re up all hours of the night.
- You never know when they are going to drop everything and race to the hospital.
- They speak using a lot of medical terminology that most people wouldn’t understand.
- Pregnant women measure life by trimesters; doctors go to school for so long they measure life in semesters.
- One drinks way too much caffeine; the other doesn’t drink enough: Together, they are the perfect level of caffeinated.
- Watching a movie or TV show with them includes their running commentary on how “That would never actually happen!”
- They both occasionally stop at the hospital cafe for an afternoon pick-me-up.
- Doctors work so many hours per week that they often exceed legal limits – pregnant women are literally building human life every hour of the day. Overtime, anyone?
- They should both wear compression stockings – pregnant or on your feet all day, circulation is important!
Bonus points for those physicians who are also pregnant!
Jasmine Almeida has a BBA in Marketing and worked as a freelance writer before deciding to stay home with her three young children (Max, 5, Leo, 3, and Paloma, 1). Her husband, David, is a retina surgeon at VRS in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Originally from Canada, Jasmine enjoys travel, yoga and spending time with her family.